Wednesday, June 12, 2013

When it Rains

The day after the lightning strike (see previous post) we were well rested and had our repairs scheduled. We slowly started cleaning things up and enjoyed our first real day of summer vacation. 

Saturday, two days after the storm, we had a lot planned. Two parties & trying to catch up with old friends in between. One of the families we borrow clothes from. I had just changed out the kids clothes a couple of weeks ago & stashed the outgrown pieces in the guest room. That morning I went in the room to pack up the clothes to bring to our friends. As I was kneeling on the floor I noticed the carpet was wet. Not good. Keenan came to inspect things and discovered our water heater in an adjacent closet was leaking. Great!  As if that weren't bad enough, the shut off valve at the heater wouldn't work so Keenan turned off the main valve. 

While Keenan worked on the leak, I set about packing things up for our day. The kids, who were already dressed in their "party clothes" decided to go outside and play. I gave them a very stern warning about not playing in the kiddie pool we had set up the day before. I went to check on them not 5 minutes later and found them digging and playing in a mud puddle!  Gah!  You have got to be kidding me!  All muddy and no water to wash off with!  They all apologize and Keira wipes her hands on her white shirt! Really?!?  We rinse them off in said kiddie pool since its the only water at the moment and Keira changed clothes. 

Keenan was able to fix the leak and tear out the portion of wet carpet. The good news is we had already planned to replace the flooring in there and even have the new stuff in the house!  The rest of the day went off without a hitch and the parties were just what we needed to unwind. 

Bad luck struck again yesterday, though. I was trying to do some more clean up in the guest room. While kneeling on the floor this time I scooted back and caught my toe on an exposed carpet tack!  The wound is minor, but I did go to the doctor for a tetanus booster this morning. I'm ready for this week to be over!

Turning things over to the bright side, we found out today we'll be getting a new oven under our home warranty, our garage door opener part arrived, the dishwasher is being looked at as I type this and we'll be going on vacation soon!

Yesterday we made cookies and brought them to the firefighters who were on call during our incident last week. I missed the opportunity to get pic's of the kids with the guys, but they did get a chance to sit in the truck. 




Next post will be about the new floors!

2 comments:

Baker's Acres said...

Oh my!! I'm glad that things are looking up now though!

That was so sweet of you all to bring the firefighters some freshly homemade cookies. =) I'm sure they loved them - and getting to hear your little ones tell them thank you had to be just as sweet as the cookies. =)

Yia Yia said...

HAHA!! I know it wasn't funny at the time, but it made me laugh reading about the kids going straight to the mud after getting dressed in their party clothes. That's what kids do! Can't - help - themselves!!