Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pre-schooler Perspective

Ari has really been coming around to the idea of another sibling - especially now that he knows it's a boy!

Just yesterday he drew me this picture:


He said "It's a snowman with a baby in her tummy with legs." (Ignore the scribbles. He still likes to do that. He's come a long way with his name, though!) Melted my heart.

When I picked him up at church Sunday his teacher told me that he prayed for his baby brother. Melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes. She also mentioned that they prayed for Ari's future family, which I will now explain.

Know that I'm mainly posting this for posterity. I find it borderline embarassing. Anyway... Ari is somewhat confused about relationship labels and how exactly they work. We talk a lot about him eating well to get bigger and stronger so he can grow up like Daddy. Whenever he talks about growing up it's always to be a Daddy "Some day when I'm a Daddy...." To him it doesn't mean that he'll have kids. Just that he'll be bigger and able to do a lot of the things only Daddy can do right now.

Once he found out this baby is a boy he started saying "When the baby comes there will be 3 Daddies!" We tried to explain to him that he and his brother will be Daddies someday when they each have their own kids. Keenan went on to explain that when that happens he (Keenan) will be a grandpa. He also tried to explain that Ari and the baby will be our sons and that will be the same forever.

So I'm pretty sure Ari told his Sunday school teacher something along these lines prompting the prayer for his future family. Today when I picked him up from school his teachers there told me that Ari said "When my baby brother comes I will be a Daddy and my Daddy will be a Grandpa!" Aie yie yie! Hopefully we get him straightened out before somebody makes a phonecall....

3 comments:

Yia Yia said...

I love the picture of the snowman and baby. He is really trying to work things out and it is complicated when you find yourself having to explain relationships. Thanks for sharing this. What a special memory.

dbilberry said...

Sweet boy!

Baker's Acres said...

The drawing is precious! The Baby/Daddy/Grandpa quote makes me chuckle. I totally understand though!