Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mommy’s Craft Time

Despite my early pregnancy symptoms and adjusting to our new schedule, I’ve managed to find some crafting time here and there.  Crocheting is still the easiest for me to fit in and actually finish a project, but I did manage one non-crochet project lately :)

First up, a hat and booties for my friend’s nephew:

IMG_6350 IMG_6351 IMG_6352

When I found out he was born prematurely (30 weeks), I whipped up this set for him in the meantime (hat & booties).  Click here to see him wearing the hat – so sweet!  (You can also read the whole story on her blog.  An amazing journey to say the least!).

IMG_6356

And just for comparison:

IMG_6357 IMG_6358

Here’s my non-crochet project.  A “What’s Up Weekly” Board (idea here).

IMG_6359

I found a magnetic dry-erase board at Target along with the cute day of the week magnets (it was going to cost almost the same price to buy enough scrapbook stickers to spell everything out!  Yes, I know I should have bought them somewhere else, but I just wanted to be done!)  I measured and drew my lines with the dry-erase marker then hot-glued ribbon over the top to make them more permanent.  I used a 1.375-inch square punch and hand-drew all the happenings.  I used the magnet roll and wooden craft star as shown in the original.  Ari loves knowing what we’re doing each day and has had so much fun moving the star to the next day.  It really is a very helpful tool and was so much fun to make!  :)

Now I have a request to all my crafty friends out there.  I received these tea towels as a wedding present, but I can’t bring myself to use them or give them away.  Surely there’s a craft I can do with them to display them, but nothing’s standing out.  I’ve thought of framing each, but I thought I’d see if anyone else had a fun idea.  Thanks in advance!

IMG_6391

I’ll wrap this post up with this last link since I consider cooking a form of crafting.  IKEA just published a Swedish cookbook (only available in Sweden right now) and it looks so neat!  This will definitely be going on my wish-list if and when they release one in the US!

Oh and one more thing (really, I promise)….I know there’s been a serious lack of posts lately.  Keira’s in that phase where she wants to see the picture before you take it and we end up having a battle over the camera so I just don’t get it out much these days.  However, we have a camping trip this weekend and Ari’s birthday party next weekend so there should be plenty to post about in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned!  :)

6 comments:

dbilberry said...

I'm not sure this would be the best fit for those tea towels or not, but this is a tea towel tutorial I found awhile back and thought it was just ADORABLE. I want to try it some day.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2009/02/bagfrom-tea-towels.html

da momma said...

Baby ROman looks so handsome in his hat!
You are so talented and so sweet!
Bless your giving heart!

Kacey said...

I love the booties and hat you made for Roman!!!! I will cherish them always as his "first booties and hat" and cherish the pictures we got of him as well!
Love,
Roman's mommy :)

Tiers of Joy said...

I did buy one from Target that already had lines and days of the week. It was $5. I'm not sure what I would do without it now since all the Fall activities have started!
The little towels could be part of a small cute quilt.

betsyann said...

Ack the blue and white booties are ADORABLE!

You could make a wall-hanging from the tea towels, making each one into a block, framing with a cute fabric. It'd be an easy beginning quilting project. I made one out of some Swiss Hankies that Megan gave me that I couldn't bear to use, and I enjoy it every day.

Here's a picture that kind of shows you what I'm thinking about - you could fancy or simple this up easily. http://www.ericas.com/embroidery/30339b.jpg

Roach Momma said...

Thanks for all the great ideas! I don't know how to quilt and it would scare me to use these as my first attempt. So far, Betsy's idea seems the way to go. I'll keep you updated if and when I get around to that (it's kind of low on the list at the moment). :)

Kacey - you are more than welcome! I am so happy Roman is doing so well and we'll keep you all in our prayers :)