I bought myself a book, some hooks and some yarn. I tried my best to use the book, but it was pretty confusing. An "ah ha" moment hit me and I turned to YouTube to get me started. It worked like a charm and I was on my way. Only one hitch - my stitches were crazy tight! It was so physically hard to make my stitches, but I somehow managed to work through a hat pattern.
On our vacation a couple of weeks ago we were fortunate enough to stay with Betsy and her family. She looked over my work and gave me a few pointers so I kept at it. I tried to make a clutch purse, but it was just too frustrating after a while. After a little break, I tried the slipper pattern in my book and it came out much better. I decided to try some baby booties for a friend and they came out great! I was able to keep my stitches loose and since they were small, I didn't get overwhelmed. I also noticed that I did better with stitches like the double and half double crochet. The single crochet was my enemy! Another "ah ha" moment hit me, I turned to YouTube again and looked up the single crochet. I had been doing a slip stitch for a single crochet - no wonder it was so tight!
Now I feel I'm on my way and I'm trully manic about crocheting. I keep my hooks and yarn on the table next to my spot in the living room and I literally pick it up any chance I get. I've been working baby gifts and have some other things planned. Here's what I've done so far :)
8 comments:
Those booties are cute but I LOVE THAT HAT! I want one for me. So cute. Good job!
I tried knitting for a while. I want to pick it up again. Making things from yarn can be such a relaxing thing. You may have inspired me to try again.
Those look fantastic!
I'm sorry I didn't notice what you were doing with the single crochet-glad you figured it out.
And you have no idea how gratifying it is that my crazy week of crochet projects actually inspired someone to take up the craft. That's amazing. Thanks!
ITM - Thanks! The hat's my favorite too. Once I can figure out how to adjust the pattern for adult sizes I'll see what I can do ;)
Betsy - Thanks as well! I don't know how you would have noticed - it was sooo tight! I kept reading the book instructions over and over and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. They are poorly written.
I've gotten hooked(haha) on crocheting too, started about a year ago. I had a good friend here to teach me who is wonderful at crocheting. I always call her with questions when I get confused. I find it very relaxing and a wonderful activity for car trips.
My mom was my inspiration to crochet but it was Kelsey who helped me get started and do something with the inspiration. My stitches were very tight in the beginning too, but I have mastered simple scarves. Maybe I'll move on to something more difficult, or I'll just let my daughters do that.
I agree with all - very cute! I, too, particularlly love the hat. =) My mom taught me to crochet "real quick" once before a road trip, but I'm with Yia Yia and have only made simple scarves. You're projects are inspiring. =)
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! MISS TALENT!!!!!!
These are great! You are doing really well for just starting. The hat is ADORABLE!
Post a Comment