Sunday, January 25, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Before I get to it, a quick update from last week's menu. All 4 of the "quicker, healthier comfort food" recipes from Real Simple were delicious! Our favorites were the Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower and the Turkey Meatloaf with Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes (we almost ate the whole thing in one sitting!). They still don't have the recipes on their site, so let me know if you want me to send or post them.

Here's this week's menu (mostly pantry/freezer items):

Monday - Black Beans and Rice
Tuesday - Miso Soup and Egg Rolls
Wednesday - Tacos
Thursday - Turkey Pepperoni Pizza with salad
Friday - Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice
Saturday - Keenan and Sara's Date Night :)
Sunday - Super Bowl Party at a friend's house

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOVE chicken tikka masala. If we lived closer I'd eat at your place Friday night. = ) Enjoy!

Jenny said...

I think it is so interesting to see other people's menu plans! I used to read Betsy's or Megan's off their fridges when I would go over to visit, too. It's interesting because each family eats such different things, it seems. There have only been two meals in your three lists (beef stroganoff and chicken caesar salad) that I've ever served, and only a few times for those.

Also, the pictures of Kiera are really cute! I wish we could have seen you all over Christmas break. Hopefully next time.

Roach Momma said...

Jenn - we'll eat some for you ;)

Jenny - I too enjoy seeing what others are eating. Plus, it gives me new ideas. I get bored with food easily (I don't really care for leftovers) and am constantly trying new recipes. We have our favorites on rotation, but it takes me a few weeks before I'm ready to have a dish again uless it was really, really good. It would have been nice to see you when we were in Wichita as well, but I know it was a busy time. Hopefully we'll be back up that way this spring.

In the Mix said...

That chicken tikka masala sounds really good. It sounds a bit like tandoori chicken with creamy tomato sauce. What do you serve with your black beans and rice? I do that dish occasionally, so I'm curious what you put with it.

Our menu this week is actually just a five day menu and some of the things are carry over from my last menu that didn't get made because I was laid up with my back and a stomach bug.

Meatball subs

Hamburger helper (I'm a bit hesitant to put this out there but I do occasionally use it because it's quick and easy)

Curry chicken with rice and green beans

Fettuccine with chicken in tomato cream sauce and salad and garlic bread

Italian Wedding Soup

Roach Momma said...

We actually just eat the rice and beans (I put some tomatoes in it as well). We're pretty light eaters so a bowl or two of that will usually do. I do recall putting sausage in it, but haven't done so the past few times I've made it.
Don't be hesitant about the HH. I throw in some quick dinners like mac 'n cheese from a box to give myself a break from time to time as well.
I don't know if you saw my comment last week, but I'd love the fettuccine recipe if you get a chance. Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

I am getting more into menu planning. I went through this one cookbook and wrote down a list of things I want to make so I'll have a menu ready to go. But we've been so sick around here that it got put on hold. Also, Brent works some nights so it's just me and Charis and we fix things like quesadillas or soup or mac n cheese.

In the Mix said...

I forgot you had asked about that recipe. Sorry.
I make a marinara by frying a slice of bacon that I've diced in a pan. I add a half an onion roughly chopped and saute until it starts to sweat. It gets a little color from the bacon but don't let it brown. I add a couple of cloves of garlic roughly chopped and saute just to start to release the oils. Then I add a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. In goes some salt and pepper, a little basil and oregano, to your taste, and about a cup of chicken stock. I let it simmer for as long as I have, usually not longer than 15 minutes, and then I puree it. I have a hand pureer(is there such a word) that works well for this so I don't have to dirty a blender or food processor. Then I return the mixture to a simmer, taste to make sure my seasonings and salt are good. Then add a half to a cup of heavy cream. Let simmer for 5-20 minutes to reduce a bit.
I sometimes add veggies in with this but this is the basic. It's super easy and better than anything you can get out of a jar.

Roach Momma said...

No problem - my memory isn't what it should be these days so I understand. I just wasn't sure if you saw the note or not.
That does sound easy and yummy and will be on next week's menu for sure! Thanks :)