Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Much Fun

We are on "snow day" number 4 around here (meaning schools and most of the city have been officially shut down). Day 1 started with rain, sleet, ice, snow and wind early Tuesday morning. With the extreme drop in temperatures, conditions didn't change Wednesday or Thursday even though nothing else fell from the sky. This morning we woke up to a blanket of snow almost 2" deep and more on the way. After another couple of rounds I'd say we have close to 6" on the ground now! We had already planned on having a low-key week and weekend due to Super Bowl activities in our area, but this is just crazy!

Here is a glimpse of what we've been doing to keep busy:

Keenan got a fire going Tuesday morning and is still going as I type.

The kids got their fort out and played camping most of Tuesday and Wednesday.

Keenan had pulled out his digital, non-contact thermometer to check temperatures around the house and it quickly became a fascination for Ari. He played with it the rest of the evening taking temperatures everywhere. Luckily we have two so Keira could do the same. Of course, hers quickly morphed into a camera and a phone :) Tuesday evening Keenan and the kids paid our next-door neighbor, Al, a visit with more temperature data retrieval.

Yes, Ari is still in his PJ's and wearing cowboy boots to brave the cold temps!

At Al's house they had cookies and were told to keep them in the kitchen :)

Thursday the roads had improved a little so Keenan went in to work for a few hours and I was able to make it to my re-scheduled doctor's appointment from Tuesday. We also ventured out for dinner to get out of the house before the predicted snow. When we got home, the kids each tested out Daddy's coat!

And then came the snow! The kids had a blast, but we only lasted about 30 minutes due to the cold temperature.

Once inside it was hot cocoa time!


I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the kids have been doing cooped up for 4 days. They've played nicely together and haven't requested too much tv/movie time. I've done some cooking and cleaning, but mostly just relaxed as we start the count-down to becoming a family of 5!

4 comments:

The Monkey behind the Mess said...

The sledding looks like a hoot! "I wanna do dat adin!"

Yia Yia said...

Snow much fun! Haha!! I love that. And I love that you guys still have the Vickers hat. It has served us well. What a fun time in the snow for the kids.

Baker's Acres said...

Too cute! I agree - looks like fun!!

Unknown said...

Fun! We are snowed in again today. I'm starting to wonder if Charis' preschool will arrange some kind of make-up for all the missed classes.