I know I've been pretty lax about posting lately, but things are going to get a lot quieter the next two months.
Keenan and I have been having some serious talks lately about our future lately. As Ari nears kindergarten age (ok...it's still 3 years away, but it's getting closer) we have some big decisions to make. The school we are zoned for is not good and we have various options to get him in a better place. Each option has it's pros and cons and after reviewing all that, we've started leaning towards one over the others. I'm not quite ready to put our choice out there, but let's just say some wheels are already in motion towards this option.
While our children's education has been the driving force for these talks, we've naturally been led down the road of what we each want to do with our futures. Keenan has been thinking about getting a PhD in Computer Engineering and I know I'd like to get back to work at some point. In order for all of this to happen I need to take and pass the Professional Engineers Licensing exam. Ugh.
I applied for the exam in 2008 and took the 8 hour test that April. I didn't pass and I missed it by this much. Once you apply, you have 4 consecutive sittings to take the exam without re-applying. That means this October is my last chance on this application. It was a tough decision - only 2 months to study, paying out of pocket for the exam and study materials, studying with 2 little ones, etc. - but in the end I really felt I was being led to take the test this October.
So there it is. I registered on Friday and paid the non-refundable fee so there's no looking back now. I've typed out a rigorous daily schedule to fit in studying any chance I get. I've also received an offer from a friend to watch the kids an hour a week and Keenan's offered to put the kids to bed by himself one night a week while I go off to a coffee shop after dinner.
I'm going to seriously limit my internet time where I seem to get sucked in without realizing it. At first I thought I'd cut it off completely, but I know that's not feasible. Ari's birthday's coming up and I'll have to put a post up for that!
I debated announcing that I will be taking the test. I really don't want to have to share with all of you the bad news should I fail again. On the other hand, maybe all those extra thoughts, prayers and encouragement will be just what I need this time around.
Wish me luck and if you think about it, say a little prayer for me on October 23rd!
5 comments:
Ill pray for you!
I know this time will probably be pretty stressful but it sounds like you have a good plan in place.
I'll be praying for you. And, by the way, the schools in Manhattan are great! ;)
Good luck with studying for and taking the exam Sara! I'll certainly say some extra prayers for you! It sounds like you have a good plan of attack for studying. =)
Also, you didn't say anything about moving, but it's likely one of the options and I must say that Ames has EXCELLENT schools, ISU has a great Computer Engineering program, and I could put in a good word for you at a number of structural engineering firms in central Iowa - plus I have connections in the Civil/Structural Dept. at ISU. =) I know Keenan doesn't like the cold, but I had to mention it! =)
Thanks everyone for your prayers and selling points! ;) Once I get this test out of the way and find out the results I'll feel better about sharing more details of our plans. Right now there are just too many things up in the air.
The one thing that keeps us going is knowing that God is in control and he has great plans for us. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." [Jeremiah 29:11]
Good Luck Sara!!!!
Post a Comment