***WARNING*** - this got longer than I planned. I'm mainly writing this down for my sake, so feel free to skip it :)
We've been gearing up for potty training with Ari for a while now. We've talked about it with him and tried to make it sound fun and exciting. We've had a potty for him for a long time as well as a couple of books. Over the past few months he's definitely been more interested in it, but still not ready for a variety of reasons. I had planned on "hitting it hard" over spring break while he was out of school and thought we'd skip the Y to devote the week to it. In the weeks leading up to that I had planned to have him start sitting on the potty before nap and bed times. The first day he had a meltdown after I took off his pants. I scrapped my plans and decided the summer would be a better time.
Fast forward to yesterday. I have been trying to have some one-on-one Ari-Mommy time on Saturdays. It was too cold to go to the park so we went to Target to kill two birds with one stone (I needed to make an exchange and Ari enjoys Target). I thought I'd let him pick out his big boy undies while we were there, just the two of us. That way he'd know about them, know they were in the house for when he was ready. He picked out Thomas the Train and was so excited to show Daddy when we got home. So much so he wanted to try them on. We told him he needed to tell us when he needed to go and practiced sitting on the potty a few times. During dinner he said he needed to go and did! A while later he announced "I spilled pee pee down my leg" with his first accident. I changed him into a pull-up and told him they were the same as his Thomas undies. He told us again he needed to go and did! After being in bed about 30 minutes that night he started crying because he had felt himself go in his diaper. He went to church in a diaper this morning, but wanted to get back in his undies after we were home. He went potty before his nap and even slept in his undies. It was downhill after he woke up with 2 accidents in his Thomas undies and going in his pull-up at dinner (we ended up going out to eat on a whim). Oh well.
We're still letting him go at his own pace at this point. I plan to let his teachers know when I drop him off for school in the morning, though. I know he's comforatble enough there that he just might do it. I'm definely am not ready to deem him "potty trained" yet and know this will be a process with ups and downs. Who knew buying him his first real undies would get the ball rolling? I sure didn't :)
5 comments:
Way to go, Ari! And you, Sara, and Keenan, for letting him go at his own pace. Potty training is such an odd thing. Some kids just "get" it, while some need more encouragement. Sounds like he's doing great!
The panty thing worked on Kelsey. I fought Keenan for a while and thought, what am I doing. I put him back in diapers and casually mentioned that he could use the potty and get out of diapers when he was ready. One day at someone else's house, he said he was ready. And he was. He did like his Darth Vader underoos! It sounds like Ari is right on track and doing great.
Sounds to me like it won't be long now! That is about how it started with Charis. She had a lot of accidents and they gradually tapered off, but we still have to use pull-ups for nap and nighttime and STILL have accidents from time to time, mostly when she is busy playing and won't stop to tell us she has to pee, but she always informs us that she "pee peed in her panties."
Here's a story from school about potty-training: today a kid came back from Spring Break wearing underwear. Hooray! Except, then, right after peeing on the potty, he peed on my lap. Eww. Luckily, I keep an extra pair of pants in the car and the school has a washer and dryer.
Yes definitely one day at a time. It's been hit or miss since writing this post.
Thanks for the story Trinket - eww doesn't quite cut it, though! I'm glad you were prepared. I suppose it could have been worse, but I won't go there ;)
Post a Comment