Wednesday, August 20, 2008

5 week update

I just sent an email with a brief update on Keira, but I thought I'd put some more detailed info here in case anyone was interested.

I talked to the doctor at her check-up yesterday about her spitting. Just as I suspected, it's common and there's really nothing we can do about it. The main concern is if it upsets her meaning it's causing heart burn. While she does cry from time-to-time when she needs to spit up, it's only about 10-15 minutes at the most. We had a few crying fits of 30 minutes to an hour and that's when I discovered her sensitivity to chocolate (caffeine). The doctor said if her crying gets worse we can talk about an acid reflux medicine. All that would do is help with the burning, nothing much for the spitting. So it sounds like it's going to be a messy couple more months for us. I think I've come to terms with that and I can feel my frustration level decreasing. I'm probably going to jinx myself here, but the past 2 days, her spitting seems to have decreased. We'll see how the next few weeks go.

I also learned that Keira's head is becoming slightly assymetrical since she favors turning it to the right when she's laying down. All we need to do to correct it is to be diligent about keeping her head propped the other direction when she's laying down to play or sleep. It's not noticeable now and not a health concern, but it could become one if we don't correct it now.

I think that's all for now. Sorry I'm not posting any pictures right now. I haven't taken many lately and I'm not overly happy with the ones we do have. I'll do better next time :)

3 comments:

dbilberry said...

Two of the boys at my daycare were horrible spitter uppers. The doctors assured them it was normal and it really didn't go away until about 6 months. It always seemed like they spit up more than they ate, but they survived so it must not have been as bad as it seemed. They both also had head shape issues but it didn't really get better until they started sitting up. So don't worry too much, other kids have gone through the same things and survived without a hitch. We loved the announcement by the way. She is adorable. Take care.

In the Mix said...

Gigi was a spitter. She would eat super fast and then blegh! all over. She also had a sensitivity to caffeine and chocolate. She seemed to grow mostly out of it by the time she was seven or eight months old with a few occasional episodes after that. Glad to hear your frustration level is coming down. I remember thinking "is any of that food you just worked so hard to nurse staying in that tiny tummy?". Hang in there.

Roach Momma said...

Thanks ladies :) It does help to know others have been there before - and survived! Ari wasn't a spitter so this is a whole new world for me.

I'm not too worried about her head yet. We just don't want it to get too misshapen causing her trouble with sitting up.